Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day 2- Bates State Park to Long Creek (sort of)


I didn't sleep well last night. Surprise, surprise!  I woke up during the middle of the night with my head all sweaty and my body was clammy which made me cold. Amazing as it seems. Woke up, for real, to a beautiful day. 
This is our camp site with everything drying out from the dew. 
We were eager to get going so we ate breakfast, packed and rode out for a lovely day, or so we thought. We got to the end of the camp entrance hung a right and then hung a left onto Hwy 7. The profile was promising with most of it down hill except with a climb at13 miles to go.  I have programmed my Garmin with all of the stages in our ride. For some reason we werent on the path  (Clue #1). So, I restarted Garmins route for the day. Still no luck. (Clue #2!!)  Dave's map profile printout said we should be going down hill, but for some reason we were going up. (Clue #3) Instead, we persevered climbing 6 miles. Then all is good cuz we have a fast decent for a few miles. At the bottom of the hill we ran into a procession of cows crossing the road. It is all open range up here so you have to watch out for sides of beef on the road. 
We travel on a few more miles. Then I notice a sign with distances to towns. RUT ROH!!  Our town isnt on it. I stop Dave for a pow-wow. At the end of our get together it is determined that we rode TWELVE miles in the opposite direction. We were supposed to take a left RIGHT out of our campsite. It didnt look to us that it was a road to be followed. That also meant we had to climb the hills all over again. By the time we arrive at our campground it is exactly 3 hours since we left and 24 miles of "training". We decided to eat lunch before leaving, AGAIN.
Going over summit from one direction.

The other side of the sign on the return trip.

DAY 2, PART 2. So now we are on the right road and it has a downward trajectory. 2 for 2!!  We rode 10-15 miles and then I realized I didn't fill any of my water bottles. Here we go again. We found a spot we could get down to the creek/river to pump out some water through a filter. 
There was a group of motorcycle riders resting by the water and we struck up a conversation. A husband and wife were going to ride their motorcycle around the world. They were heading to central, then south America before going to Africa. The wife saw my Rocktape knees and wanted to know about the tape, so I esplained it to her. She wanted to know where to get some for her trip. I had my roll in my bag so I taped her knees, gave her my card and told her she could by it through me and that I would be interested to know how it worked for her. Proud of me, Shirley?  
Dave relaxing by the river
I was chillin' in the water!

The rest of our trip to Mile 40 was uneventful. We did find a bridge over the river and crashed on the bridge for a half hour.  It felt nice to rest/sleep.  I did expect to see Bill Murray along the route because the river wound through the landscape and we kept thinking that we had already gone around that corner at least 3 times. Ground Hog Day Oregon style!!! 
Who knew how long and difficult those 13 miles would be. 

Mile 40
 Mile 40 of our scheduled ride, which was actually mile 64, started a 4ish mile climb. It wasn't that the climb was that difficult, we were just shot. I was down to a cup or so of water and Dave was cramping up. We would stop every half mile or so, depending on where the shady spots were to rest. Finally, it was easier for him to walk up the hill versus ride. Not fun. We finally made it to the top, each one of us in our own world of pain. From the top it was rollers into town. When I would go up the upside of the roller, I could feel a tailwind pushing me up that blasted "hill". I thanked God for the push and kept pedalling. Once I rolled into the metropolis of Long Creek, I stopped at the only stop sign in town and located the general store, bar, cafe, gas station and our hotel with a gentle swivel of the head. It was 8:00 and every thing was rolled up tight. The bar wasn't even open on a Saturday night! When I pulled up to the stop, a couple was crossing the street. They told me everything closed at 6:00. We had a nice chat in the middle of the intersection. It was safe. Everybody was home, by 6:00!!!  Dave checked us in and we got settled in to the hotel. Oh that shower felt good. I did some Ride 2 Recovery laundry, meaning I washed my clothes in the shower, and consumed 2 packets of Top Ramen. Mmmmmmm!
All told, i would have to say todays ride was comparable to a century (100 miles) ride. Even though it was 75 miles, with the gear we were lugging and Barney not being the lightest of steeds, made it tough. For me, this will be my "benchmark" ride that I will compare all other rides to. That is unless i "acquire" a new benchmark.  Heehee!  
Final numbers for yesterdays ride: 76.63 miles; 6 hrs 36 min (actual riding time); 11 hours (time from leaving camp, the first time, to Long Creek); 4064 calories burned. 
We have an easy 32 or so tomorrow, if all goes as planned!  
Talk with you then. Good night family, love you!
Ciao. 

No comments:

Post a Comment