Thursday, October 25, 2012

San Simeon to Pismo

I know, I am a day late on this posting.  We had a wonderful hotel last night, but we were at the end of the building and the wi-fi was weak.  I could have done it on my iPhone, but it is a pain to do that much typing.  Here goes.  277
Leaving San Simeon started a "recovery" day.  The distance was only 52 miles, with a few rollers.  We were able to cruise along at a blistering 12 mph.  It was crazy sock day today.  I didn't have any crazy socks.  I have white socks for exercising, colored work/church socks and cycling socks in varying concepts of black.  I have some socks knitted for me by my German friend that are in the colors of the German flag.  Not so great for cycling.  After breakfast, I worked on Jorge's (see yesterday's post) back.  It was to be a relatively light day, but he still had some hills to push Thea up.  He was wearing these striped socks with bacon strips wearing sunglasses.  I don't get it either.  He mentioned he had some other socks I could use.  I said, "OK" out of courtesy and then let it go.  I proceeded to the hotel lobby for taping riders before the days ride.  I am having fun taping and telling people how well it works.  ANYWAY, I was standing outside waiting for the riders brief when Jorge walks up with his socks for me to wear.  They were pink, orange, black and white argyle knee high socks.  Of course I put them on.  Are you crazy?  As we rolled out of San Simeon, the town was on the side of the road and we rode under this flag.


We continued on down the rode and I was riding up front with Todd (aka: Tugboat.  I didn't make that one up).  We came upon the R2R photographer and I was able to display my socks. If you look at the following picture, you will notice one sock is up and one is down.  That is because I was hot with them up and had pushed them down.  I saw the photographer with just enough time to kind of get one up.

This is a picture of Thea in the low rider, Jorge (check out the socks) and Ed (aka Ricky).

We rolled along to our lunch break which was on Cal-Poly (San Luis Obispo).  After lunch we continued on towards Pismo as one big rolling group.  On the way we met up with an elementary school that was standing on the side of the road waiting for us.  Anybody who wanted to was able to high five the kids.  It was fun.

We are now 277 miles into this and are over half way to LA.
.
Talk tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment