Monday, October 22, 2012

Santa Cruz to Carmel

So today was a Jekyl and Hyde kind of day.  The weather forecast stated "drizzle".  As usual, they were wrong! Not only did it rain, it was cold.  Being a Boy Scout (OK not really), I was prepared.  Most important were my rain jacket and booties for my shoes.  Riding through the rain was bad enough, but south of Watsonville, we were riding along roads the farm workers use.  Mud and clumps of dirt everywhere.  If you didn't stagger yourself with the person riding in front of you, a rooster tail painted you with mud.  At our first stop, north of Seaside, we tried to warm up, but it just wasn't possible.  We were with Delta Company again today.  Of course the pace was slower than I would like, but more than that, I just was afraid of somebody wiping out in front of me or not giving enough space behind me to stop and then crashing into me.  I worried for nothing and survived without a scratch. Oh, we rode right past MBA's front gate.  Only Dionne knew the significance of that particular driveway.
As we came into Seaside the sun was out and glorious.  From Seaside to Carmel, the weather was perfect.  The ride along 17-Mile Dr. was clear and the ocean brilliant blue.  People who had never been to the area were in awe of the beauty.  I got our group leader to stop at the Lone Cypress tree.  I told him it is the icon of the area and people need to see it.  We decided to have a Delta Group photo which required us to get Thea our of her carriage.  I will post a picture of her cool machine.  I don't know her story, but she is a paraplegic.  She totally rocks.  She has "pedaled" all of these miles with her arms.  Anyway, a couple guys picked her up and sat her on top of a split rail fence (yes, they held on to her!) and then we gathered around her for our photo.  All of the tourists who stopped were taking pictures of all of us, especially the American Legion riders and their Harley's!
When we arrived at the hotel in Carmel, the main "wrench" (aka, mechanic) for R2R was waiting with a pressure washer.  All of our bikes got washed down, which took the load off of us for taking our rides into the shower with us.  Just kidding about taking the bikes into the shower. Maybe.
Quote of the Day from Tin-Tin:  I put it (jacket) in the Shamu car!  You mean Shimano?  Yeah, thats what I said!  He showed up to and ate dinner in a bath robe because he had just finished with a massage.
Tomorrow is the queen stage of the ride.  The 92 miler from Carmel to San Simeon.  Many people are talking about adding 8 miles for a full century.  I will get through 92 and then I can think about the extra eight.

No comments:

Post a Comment