Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ventura to Santa Monica Pier


The morning is definitely warmer.  I am not needing arm warmers this morning.  Unfortunately, two of the Delta team are not able to join us.  Tyson, who is a below knee amputee didn't suit up.  I have ridden with him since the first day of the ride.  He has been battling skin breaking down behind his knee from rubbing on his prosthesis.  The other DNS (Did Not Start) was Monica (aka Coco, as in Coco Crisp).  She got that nickname after wearing her Oakland A's jersey one day.  She was having knee problems, too.  She was also with us from day one.
Mike and Tyson Carter on Day 1

Last Day on the road.
We rolled down the road as one big happy group.  The only group to start later was the A group.  They don't like to wait for anyone so they leave late.  We rolled down through Oxnard, Point Mugu and then along the PCH towards Santa Monica.  As we get to Point Mugu, there were ambulances and fire trucks with a big flag waving on the side of the road.  This happened to be a good thing.  I don't know if it was the emergency vehicles or the fighter jets on display behind them, but as I move over a bit to take a looksy upline, one of the riders (John) went down like a rock.  He hit the ground HARD.  His head smacked hard and I knew it was bad.  I quickly rode ahead to the EMT's and told them we had a man down.  I was glad they were so close.  We continued down the PCH to our rest stop.  As I am riding, Rob, yup the same one, was talking to me.  He told me John would be back.  I was dubious, but he said it was for sure.  Smacking his head or not.  Sure enough, John got out of a support car at the rest stop and grabbed his bike.  He had his leg bandaged up and that is all.  I asked to look at his helmet.  A few scratches, but no dent.  I couldn't believe it.

You could tell we had been on the road for a week.  We were feeling edgy.  Things that wouldn't bug us were annoying to us.  People not holding their line, not keeping consistent speed.....  With 10 miles to go, we re-grouped so that we could ride in as one BIG line.  I took the opportunity to pull out my sharpy and have my new friends sign the back of my R2R jersey.  I plan to get it framed and hang it at work.

When we roll again we have to pass by a nasty auto accident on the PCH that included a fatality.  All traffic was stopped except for us.  This section (Malibu to Santa Monica) was the most active of the whole ride.  Everybody was at the beach or driving up the coast.  Newbies to California were impressed with all of the hubbub.  The LA Sheriff's cycling team joined us for the final miles.  As we rode, a sheriff's boat was out on the water blowing its horn at us and then racing up the coastal water with its siren blaring.

 The crowd waiting for us was awesome.  We rode under the pier, up a slight incline, two left turns and then we were on the pier.  I saw Josh, Dionne's hubby, as I rolled through.  I parked my bike and got into line for some grub.  It was delicious.
J.R. our Harley Angel.  He stayed with Delta all week keeping us safe.  Thanks J.R.

On the Pier at the finish.  Glad to be done.
Everybody was slapping backs and enjoying being done.  The sense of accomplishment for these people was palpable. Chris/Tin-Tin was excited, "I made it, man".  Rob is hoping to get out of town tonight to beat the hurricane that is bearing down on the east coast.  Jorge is going to rest up and then decide on his future.  Maybe Sacramento after separating from the Army.  Kristina will go back to being a commander at Fort Lewis.  Corey has leave until the 4th where he will come home to Hayward and show his girl around.  She had never been on a plane or seen the ocean until yesterday.  I am not sure what Dontre will be doing.  Todd and Sean will head back home and get ready to lead more challenges next year.  As for Dionne, she will go back to rubbing people the right way with her massage business.  Me, I was on a flight back up north at 8 pm and was in my bed by 12:45.  I will get back to work and life on Monday.

Thanks to all of you who contributed to my ride.  Thank you to my corporate sponsors.  I talked you up to all who would listen!!

Thanks for joining me on the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment